+ Reply to Thread

Thread: air-strokes

1. Join Date
    Aug 2006

air-strokes

Hi all,

I am a newcomer and I have been experimenting with air-strokes and wonder what happen when the pen is lifted too high for the digitizer to record. Has anyone reported that the thin lines recorded change in any way their form or movement? The numbers in the data sheet stay z = 0 for pressure but is there other data we should look at to find out what is happening in the air?

I obviously appreciate the charts recording the air-strokes and the possibility of printing them.

Would it be possible to have also similar charts “without” the air-strokes recorded in order to print them eventually. My intention is to show them to people in order to test if they can “guess” the movement or the form of these air-strokes.

I know that with the ink pen we have an original and are able to do such a thing. But it could be useful for people who do not have one or for samples received from other people without one.

When the average pressure is given on the top right of the charts, should I assume that it is the average of pen down samples only, not including air-strokes?

I know that there is a date when we add a subject to an experiment but I did not find one when one single experiment is recorded and processed. Did I look at the right place?

I have both Excel and SPSS 10 and am considering exporting data to these softwares to experiment with them. Did you have comments if the program is more compatible with one or the other? I saw on the site that the name Microcal Origin was also mentioned as a possibility.

So long for now,

Dag

2. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    1. I wonder what happen when the pen is lifted too high for the digitizer to record.
    When the pen is lifted more than 1-2 cm, the digitizer will stop generating data until the pen is near the tablet. MovAlyzeR will detect that samples are missing (Search for "discontinuity during recording"). MovAlyzeR measures the time intervals between the samples and will detect when there is an interval exceeding a certain value.
    MovAlyzeR has several options to substitute the missing samples. Trials where 1 or more samples are missing are marked with an extra D.
    ==> Rightclick your experiment >Properties >Advanced >Discontinuities

2. Has anyone reported that the thin lines recorded change in any way their form or movement?
    No.
    The line during recorded can be set by:
    ==> Rightclick your experiment >Properties >Running Experiment >Drawing Options

3. The numbers in the data sheet stay z = 0 for pressure but is there other data we should look at to find out what is happening in the air?
    z=0 means the pen is lifted. You can still calculate speeds and segments, etc.

4. Would it be possible to have also similar charts “without” the air-strokes recorded in order to print them eventually.
    In the processed data chart you can color the line with axial pen pressure (Under Actions, set Feedback signal=Axial pen pressure and set Feedback Color of the Minimum of the signal to White).
    ==> Rightclick your experiment >Properites >Running experiment >Drawing options >Min.pressure color needs set to white

5. I know that with the ink pen we have an original and are able to do such a thing. But it could be useful for people who do not have one or for samples received from other people without one.
    You can also enter handwriting images in various formats in MovAlyzeR

6. When the average pressure is given on the top right of the charts, should I assume that it is the average of pen down samples only, not including air-strokes?
    No it is the pressure of the Sample where the cross hair is (default=0). Click in the chart and move the cross hair with the arrow keys. Surprise: Open 2 charts of the same trial at the same time and move the cross hair in one of them. Open also a View Raw data and a View Extracted data and move the cross hair.

7. I know that there is a date when we add a subject to an experiment but I did not find one when one single experiment is recorded and processed. Did I look at the right place?
    ==> Rightclick experiment >Report >Subjects.
    It will show dates and durations and #trials of all subjects.

8. I have both Excel and SPSS 10 and am considering exporting data to these softwares to experiment with them. Did you have comments if the program is more compatible with one or the other? I saw on the site that the name Microcal Origin was also mentioned as a possibility.
    All views have an Excel button to open an Excel sheet with the data. The summarize output file in INC format can be used as an include file in SPSS etc.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information